Gambling and keeping It real
Exotic themes with waterfalls, talking statues, gladiators and fantastic prizes for the winning - none of these things would seem out of place in a major casino. Casinos may offer a temporary escape from day-to-day routine, but don't get too caught up in the fantasy. The extravagant surroundings can sometimes influence people to take more risks and gamble with more money than they had planned. That's why it's so important to set limits ahead of time and to leave extra money and bank cards at home.
The gambling industry is also very good at advertising the rare few who hit it big:
- Lottery winners are always photographed smiling and holding giant cheques.
- Flashing lights and ringing bells always accompany any large jackpot win in a casino.
It's natural to think: "Why can't that be me?" Many people gamble for the chance to win, but large jackpot winners are rare. It's best to treat gambling like any other form of entertainment that costs money. For more ideas on gambling safely, see the section on Responsible Gambling Tips.
Key Gambling Facts
No matter what type of gambling you enjoy, you can be sure psychology will play an important role.
Never let yourself get so caught up in a game that you lose sight of reality.
Be sure to control your gambling - don't let your gambling control you.
About gambling - afm.mb.ca
- How gambling really works
- What's your cost of play
- Psychology of gambling
- Optimism in gambling: good or bad
- Systems in gambling: trying to make sense of randomness
- 20/20 hindsight in gambling: useful or misleading
- Near miss beliefs: close doesn't count
- Hot and cold machines: there's no such thing
- Selective attention and selective recall
- Unpredictable payoffs
- Don't get caught chasing
- Illusion of control
- Magical thinking
- Superstitions and rituals
- The appeal of gambling: what gambling means to different people
- Gambling and keeping It real
- Responsible gambling tips
- Problem gambling
Things to know
- Odds stat.
- Live football
- Calculate profit and loss of the bookie
- How to calculate profit and loss of the bookie
- Correct score
- Total goals
- Next goal
- Asian Handicap HT
- Asian Handicap FT
- Over / Under HT
- Over / Under FT
- 1x2 HT
- 1x2 FT
- 1x2 ht-ft
- First Goal
- Last Goal
- Even / Odd
- What's football tips
- About us
- Euro 2012
- Lotto results